The Starchitecture (s) work. Figures of architects and urban space has just been published.
The 1990s and 2000s are characterized by the profusion of iconic architectural projects, in a bidding war that had known little other periods in the history of architecture.
This book takes a critical look at these projects that have shaped the image and identity of contemporary cities.
It focuses on the figure of the "starchitects" that produce, local actors that sponsor them, people who "consume".
He is also interested in the new geography that they outline.
(Articles in french and English).
Authors: Guillaume Ethier, Edith Fagnoni, Pablo Fuentenebro, Maria Gravari-Barbas, Maria Kaika, Caroline Lamy, Donald Mcneill, Cécile Renard-de Jesus, Leslie Sklair.
Preface / Foreword: Joan Ockman
Introduction: Global Geographies of the starchitecture / Global Geographies of Starchitecture: Maria Gravari-Barbas and Cécile Fox-de Jesus
PART 1. THE ARCHITECT IN GLOBALIZATION: TOWARD A PARADIGM OF GLOBAL ARCHITECTURE / ARCHITECTS IN GLOBALIZATION: TOWARDS A PARADIGM OF GLOBAL ARCHITECT
- ARCHITECTS ARE LIKE TRAINS… THEY ONLY GO ON RAILS. THE CHANGING SOCIAL ROLE OF ARCHITECTURE IN A GLOBALISED WORLD: Maria Kaika
- GLOBAL STARCHITECTS AND ICONIC ARCHITECTURE IN THE CITY OF CAPITALIST GLOBALIZATION: Leslie Sklair
- THE CONSTRUCTION OF ARCHITECTURAL CELEBRITY: Donald McNeill
- OF THE "FINE ARTS" STARCHITECTS JEAN NOUVEL, French of the STARCHITECTURE FIGURE: Cécile Renard-de Jesus
PART 2. ICONIC AND URBAN SPACE ARCHITECTURE / ICONIC ARCHITECTURE AND URBAN SPACES
- ARCHITECTURE, MUSEUMS, TOURISM. THE war of marks: Maria Gravari-Barbas
- MUSEUM INNOVATION, A WAY OF REINVENTING LOCAL DEVELOPMENT? METZ and the CENTRE POMPIDOU, LENS and the LOUVRE: Edith Fagnoni
- CULTURAL SPACES IN THE CITY. REFLECTIONS ON THE ARCHITECTURE AND THE PROGRAM OF LIBRARIES: Pablo Fuentenebro
- STARCHITECTURE and spaces of consumption: Caroline Lamy
- THE life of icons: Guillaume Ethier
List of figures
Presentation of the authors
ISBN: 978-2-343-06292-1 • June 2015 • 272 pages.
Read on the subject.